Last updated February 20, 2026
CARACAS, Venezuela — The Venezuelan legislature on Thursday approved a limited amnesty bill that human rights organizations say fails to provide relief for hundreds of political prisoners.
The big picture: The ruling party-controlled National Assembly, led by Jorge Rodriguez, passed the law following a second debate. While the bill aims to “pacify” the country, it excludes those convicted of “military rebellion” and requires exiles to return to Venezuela in person to have their amnesty granted.
Why it matters: The move comes as Interim President Delcy Rodriguez attempts to normalize relations with the U.S. by bowing to oil sale demands and releasing detainees. However, the law’s limitations have sparked protests, including a six-day hunger strike by family members of prisoners outside a Caracas police facility.
The details: The approved legislation covers specific “violent actions” and protests occurring in select years between 2002 and 2025.
- The catch: It does not return seized assets, revoke bans on holding public office, or cancel sanctions against media outlets.
- The barrier: Activists living abroad must appear in person to receive amnesty, a provision rights groups say targets those who continued their activism from other countries.
- The timeline: Once an amnesty request is filed, tribunals have 15 days to issue a ruling.
What they’re saying: * The Government: Attorney General Tarek Saab told Reuters he hopes for a “100% pacified country,” while maintaining that those jailed are criminals, not political prisoners.
- The Opposition: Lawmaker Nora Bracho called the bill “not perfect” but urged compliance to “mitigate the suffering of many Venezuelans.”
- The Activists: “Total liberty will come when the apparatus and culture of political repression are dismantled,” said Gonzalo Himiob, vice-president of legal rights group Foro Penal, via X.
By the numbers: * 450: The number of political prisoner releases counted by Foro Penal since Jan. 8.
- 900: The number of releases the government claims to have authorized over the last year.
What’s next: The lone remaining hunger striker, 40-year-old Narwin Gil, continues her protest as the country waits to see if the new law will truly dismantle what activists call an “apparatus of repression.”