Last updated November 29, 2025
SAN JOSE, California — Police evacuated and swept Valley Fair Mall on Saturday after three people were wounded in what authorities described as an isolated shooting that sent holiday shoppers scrambling for safety, according to the San Jose Police Department.
Officers first responded to reports of gunfire at the busy West San Jose shopping center, where they found two victims suffering from gunshot wounds, police said. Both were taken to nearby hospitals as officers began securing the scene and urging the public to stay away from the area during the initial investigation.
Police later added that a third injured victim had been located and transported for treatment. All three injuries were determined to be non-life-threatening, according to the department.
Authorities emphasized that the incident did not meet the definition of an active shooter. The situation “appears to be an isolated incident and not an active shooter,” police said, noting that officers continued to evacuate and clear the mall to confirm there was no further threat. Traffic in the surrounding area became heavily congested as the investigation expanded.
Mayor Matt Mahan addressed residents in a statement posted Saturday, calling the shooting “not the news I wanted to share with you this holiday weekend” and saying his “prayers are with these victims.” Mahan said officers were working to locate the suspect and “hold them accountable,” adding that there was “no ongoing threat to the community” while still urging people to avoid the area.
Police did not immediately release details on a suspect or what may have prompted the violence as they continued their search of the mall and surrounding area.